Album of the Week: Light Up Gold by Parquet Courts
Release: January 15
Light Up Gold, Paraquet Courts debut album, doesn’t break any new ground in the indie rock scene, but fusing part-Pixies, part-Pavement and old-school punk influences makes these Texans-turned-New-Yorkers’ album one of the early joys of 2013. With simple melodies, driving chord progressions and artfully careless lyricism makes Paraquet Courts first effort an unexpected favorite.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs’ crazy weird album
The famously eccentric Yeah Yeah Yeahs, a New York City favorite, released news about its upcoming album, Mosquito. The band also unveiled the… interesting album artwork. Think Nirvana’s Nevermind meets an acid-laced nightmare.
Return of the JT
This week the musically dormant Justin Timberlake released a new song “Suit & Tie” featuring the talents of Jay-Z over some Timbaland beats. The song represents Timberlake’s first original song since 2006′s FutureSex/LoveSounds. It’s about time.
The Ozzman Cometh
After 45 years, a successful solo career and a much-loved reality show, Ozzy Osbourne reunites with the band that made him big. Pitchfork reports that the aged frontman will be joined by original members Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler. Brad Wilk, formerly of Rage Against the Machine, will fill in on drums.
Adele wins big with “Skyfall”
To the surprise of no one, Adele once again took home another award. This time it was a Golden Globe for best original song, “Skyfall.” Adele didn’t expect to win the award as she stated during her acceptance speech, but nevertheless, she adds yet another musical honor to her already well-populated shelf.
- This week in music: Jan. 17-23
- Nine Inch Nails “Hesitation Marks” album review
- Josh Groban’s album All That Echoes signals an edgier sound to come
- 5 Lessons to be learned from Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake
- How do musicians perform when they host and act on Saturday Night Live?
- Don’t call it a comeback: Sara Evans and other artists at the end of a hiatus
Add Widgets (Content Sidebar)
This is your Content Sidebar. Edit this content that appears here in the widgets panel by adding or removing widgets in the Content Sidebar area.
Like Vox on Facebook
- Kendyl on The unfortunately large world of inappropriate selfies
- Jc on The unfortunately large world of inappropriate selfies
- Julie kelly on The CoMo Cookbook: Geisha Sushi Bar
- Amber Archer on Piper Kerman, author of “Orange is the New Black,” came to Mizzou, talked about prisons
- coemone on Book Review: The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories