Advertisements
E-MAIL BOOKMARK
You need to be logged in to bookmark an article.
login | Register now | No thanks
You need to be logged in to e-mail an article.
login | Register now | No thanks

Essay: Shoes

Stilettos, clogs and boots - a shoe addict’s tale

February 11, 2011 | 12:00 a.m. CST

Photo by Jonathan Stephanoff

Listen

My feet are snobs. They will not let just any shoe grasp their arches. My left foot and right foot have developed a love for beauty in shoes. And because of their fetish with the fine artisanship that adorn them, my collection of shoes has grown from a fair beginning of two kitten-heel pumps and three pairs of Gap flats to 18 pairs of high-heels and 11 pairs of boots. But who needs floor space or rent money when you have scrunch boots and cowboy boots and vintage Spanish heels and sky-high stilettos to cover the floorboards?

Lovely things

Related Articles

That’s right: no one.

I used to consider this obsession for the lovely little vanities we put on our feet as an addiction. But my attachment to shoes does not warrant the loaded suffix “-aholic” because this affliction I have is, in fact, love.

There was a beginning to this accumulation. I once owned a pair of wooden clogs, so I cannot honestly say my sense of stylish footwear was an innate part of my being. That beginning was in a pair of yellow BCBG heels. I was in a second-hand store when I was 18 years old perusing the racks of vintage blazers and faded designer jeans. As I made my way to the dressing room with an armful of used goodies, I spotted the half hidden shelf of shoes for sale. The selection was menial: worn black Mary Janes, ancient engraved cowboy boots and scuffed pale pink flats. But sitting directly at eye-level were a pair of gorgeous, delicate yellow heels. They were diamonds among rhinestones. The color intrigued me. Yellow stands out wherever it is, regardless of whether it is painted on a gorgeous pair of well-made, designer-label, sky-high lookers or not. My free hand instantly went to them, I gasped and let my hand sweep over their canary-colored leather, four-inch heel and pointed toe. I knew they were coming home with me.

I returned to my dorm room. I set them gently on the bookshelf decorated with coffee mugs stacked on top of each other as opposed to a row of textbooks and looked at them. And looked at them. It would be nearly a month before I decided my feet were worthy of their presence. They entranced me because they came into my life when I had recently fled the nest and represented the grown-up me. They were graceful, and they were mine and mine alone. An itch was born in me that led to not only an appreciation for beautiful shoes but also affection for them for which many have laughed at me over the years. “Exactly how many shoes do you have?” a friend once asked.

“A few,” I said from my spot on a bench of the Macy’s shoe department.

“So why do you need these? Where will you wear these shoes?” she asked rationally, indicating the five-inch, platform purple suede peep-toe heels in my hands.

And like any good addict, I made an excuse, a defense for my indulgence: “I don’t have any exactly like this. I can wear them anywhere. I need them.”

I became the girl with the shoes. From that first pair of truly tall heels came more. I also became the girl who carried a pair of flats in her purse before I would bring out my cared-for delicacies and let them fend for themselves against the cruel, dirty asphalt. I would ask to stop as I lean against the brick wall around the corner from our destination for support. I replaced the worn flats on my feet with the four-inch suede, knee-high boots cradled in my arms. Those traveling with me would laugh and question my reasoning, but they just didn’t know love. And love means never having to say you’re sorry a la Love Story. Actually it does, especially if you subject a favorite pair to the rain and muck until they are unrecognizable from debris.

Along with taking an old toothbrush and soap to a pair that has endured a head-on collision with a crusty step or rain-soaked pavement, I have also tended to a wounded pair of heels with super glue where a rip has formed on the toe box. But along with the scuffed, some pairs of my 18 have never been worn. Save me a trip to and from the kitchen. Their stitching is too fine, the hand-woven laces too beautiful for me to take out. These are my trophy wives, and they remain unworn.

I might not be jaded enough to think that it is a real addiction, but shoes do call to me and something inside just makes me answer and I buy them, and I give them a home and love. When I wear them, not only does my 5-foot-2-inch frame get a lift to put me at eye-level with more of the general population, but also they make me feel a little bit special. To some, they might just be items thrown on cold feet to warm them up or hide a past prime pedicure. But to me, they let me play dress up for a moment or a day. And when someone compliments them, I feel like a proud parent and I thank them. After all, they are beautiful—super glue or no super glue.

Comments on this article

Do you apperceive the a lot of acclaimed shoes cast about the world? May be your acknowledgment Steve Madden, Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik, Prada, Gucci or Jimmy Choo.
    http://clpumpsstore.net/goods-15-Christi... louboutin wedges gold Then I wish to say that the shoes can accomplish the girls admirable and trendy. Comments can possibly be Christian Louboutin, Prada or Jimmy Choo. Nicely, so I say just one sentence, you apperceive the acknowledgment 100%. So I allocution to? Red sole, 'Yes! You get it! It is absolutely Christian Louboutin shoes. Why? Red sole 'this book is so powerful? The signature red sole is the attribute of Christian Louboutin, which is one of the a lot of acclaimed top shoe brand, it has been actual accepted a allotment of humans from all over the world, which let it became added adorable and mysterious.

Chiffon has a continued history over hundred years. Today chiffon adornment has been actual accepted and become the ladies' favorites. Chiffon adornment is admired and beat by abounding women and girls. Chiffon & Co adornment is the attestant and attribute of adulation and romance. Charles Lewis Chiffon and John B. Young in New york, 259 Broadway, founded Chiffon & Young on September 18, 1837. http://925jewelrysale.net/goods-702-Tiff... tiffany open heart toggle bracelet is accede as an absolute jotter and appearance appurtenances boutique. They said that anniversary article are apparent "declined counter-offer. " This action became the big news. The aboriginal day's sales absolute ability to 4. 98 U. S. dollars.

Vibram Fivefinger is acceptable on asperous and asperous area - they assure your anxiety from bruising, cuts, scrapes, blisters etc. Vibrams action an ultra attenuate sole, but it's abundant to accumulate your anxiety from accepting disconnected even on absolutely afflictive surfaces like gravel. Vibrams Fivefingers advice you abstain blisters from the calefaction of summer roads. Let's face it, if the alley is hot abundant to baker an egg on, again even the toughest anxiety are no bout for it, at atomic not for long. http://fivefingerssale.net/goods-15-Vibr... vibram bikila saleability not accept a blubbery sole, but it's abundant to accumulate your anxiety from baking up appropriate away.

"What do you accept on your feet?!" the alternate catechism are consistently advancing into my ears, if I go out in a brace of Vibram Fivefingers shoes. http://5fingersshoesoutlet.com/goods-15-... vibram bikila ls mens They're the alone shoes that Vibram makes and are abundantly fun and comfortable.I've beat them hiking, kayaking, and running.

Posted by hongda100 hongda100 on Jun 8, 2012 at 4:11 a.m. (Report Comment)

For ladies, shoes are so necessary and essential they need to always be rather mindful when selecting his or her shoes. Maybe the most appealing shoes are the Christian Louboutin shoes. http://clpumpsoutlets.com/Christian-Loub... red christian louboutin are widely known that they have red-colored soles and as there's the limitation of the places that may bring them, such Christian Louboutin shoes or boots are badly in demand and although they're fairly high-priced and sometimes tough to be able to purchase, girls still are attached to them and aspiration that they can own a set of such luxury sneakers.

To buy a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes, you'll be able to search for a boutique of this sort of brand. You can come across the particular concrete locations of such boutiques away from USA from the established website from the http://luxuriousheels.com/Christian-Loub... discount louboutin. Net can make people's life turn into more easy, you are able to in addition acquire the Christian Louboutin shoes in the Web.

What's more, you had much better purchase the particular shoes at a Christian Louboutin shoes authorized on line vendor. You still can go to a great approved retailer for http://heelssale4u.com/ discount christian louboutin. They also can provide actual Christian Louboutin shoes or boots and you need not worry about the quality or something prefer that.

All of women should not miss the excellent chance to own your own Christian Louboutin shoes, because they make every woman elegant and graceful. http://luxuriouspumps.com/Christian-Loub... christian louboutin pumps is synonymous with high fashion and quality in the heel market. Do not hesitate, come and have a pair of your own Christian Louboutin shoes.

Apparently, the design of Christian Louboutin always make people feel so fresh, each season, Christian Louboutin will make full use of their advantages to beautify shoes. Ladies could not refuse to accept http://heels2u.net/Christian-Louboutin-P... christian louboutin pump. Christian Louboutin also consider your thoughts, there is a hidden part in the front so as to make you feel more comfortable, even the heel seems like 20 inches but you still can enjoy the amazing wearing feelings because of such small part.

Posted by le you on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:51 p.m. (Report Comment)

Ugg footwear has become incredibly popular in recent years. This major brand first became popular almost a decade ago. Styling http://ggboots4u.com/Ugg-Knit-category-1... ugg classic knit to create a streamlined and stylish outfit can be a bit challenging. Here are some ideas for how to style your Uggs effortlessly.

Many people who purchase Uggs do so for the comfort factor alone. Some do not necessarily like the look of http://ggbootstore.com/Ugg-Fox-Fur-categ... ugg boots with fox fur, but they love the sheepskin lining and the luxurious suede exterior. These more shy types should probably choose to wear their Uggs in a more discreet way.

While Ugg footwear can be costly, the investment is well worth the money. Uggs have proven that http://ggbootssaleonline.com/ ugg boots sale are here to stay in the world of fashion. Their look and shape never changes from season to season, so you can ensure that you will be able to wear your Uggs for many years to come.

Throughout the course of years, there have been many different manufacturers making the Ugg Boot. There have been knock offs as well as other well known spin offs of http://cutebootssale.com/UGG-Classic-Min... ugg boots classic as well. The Ugg boot is typically a boot lined with sheepskin. It is very warm and offers a great level of comfort and softness.

You are probably aware of UGG boots. The comfort and support given by UGG boots are a bonus that you do not get with a lot of other heavy duty outdoor footwear. What's more, the Men's Butte is a durable yet luxurious outside boot that http://ggsaleboots.com/UGG-Classic-Short... ugg classic short in the colors of black, brown and Worchester. UGG makes boots that are ideal for all age groups.

Posted by le you on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:52 p.m. (Report Comment)

In many people's eyes, Ugg Boots are the most cozy shoes. Ugg Boots all have a special design, which makes them look different from the other shoes. http://ggbootsoutlets.com/UGG-Men-catego... ugg men boots is made from top quality and standards materials. Ugg Boots are suitable for all occassions, so you can wear these shoes wherever you go.

What makes Ugg boots so popular today? I think that because their high quality and extreme comfort. Ugg boots are one of the most prefected boots on the market. Everyone like to choose Ugg boots to show their beauty. http://winterbootsstyle.com/UGG-Dakota-F... ugg dakota slipper are favored by many famous people. Wearing them will help yopu get the envy from the others. Ugg boots are always made of the good sheepskin from Australia.

Ugg classic boots are not ugly, they also have many fashionable styles for you to choose. Wearing Ugg classic boots can help you enjoy the luxury of Ugg as well. You will find within this line all sorts of wonderful shoe options. Wearing http://bootssalestyle.com/Ugg-Alloway-ca... ugg for women will also bring you a good mood and a happy mood. If you are looking for a pair shoes that can help you to resist the cold weather, you can try Ugg classic boots. They will never make you down.

Nowadays, Christian Louboutin shoes prefer to use the full range of beautiful colors, including the design of the depth of his toes, with red shoes, communication and high heels. Many stars chasing the fever of http://ilouboutinoutlet.com/Christian-Lo... christian louboutin flats. Christian Louboutin shoes are good trends in the fashion world. Wearing Christian Louboutin shoes can make you become the fashion icon. These Christian Louboutin shoes are your can't miss shoes.

Ugg Boots are suitable for people at different ages. On a cold winter morning, nothing can be better to warm up your feet! Owning a apir of Ugg Boots will make you not afraid of the bad weather any more. http://ggwinterbootsoutlet.com/UGG-Tall-... ugg tall boots also have many sizes for you to choose, no matter which style shoes you like, you can find one ugg boots that suit you most. Ugg Boots also have some classic styles for you to choose, you will fall in love with them when you see them.

Posted by le you on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:48 a.m. (Report Comment)

In fact, our UGG boots can meet many people's demands in different ages. UGG boots are all highly fashionable footwear. Many of the http://ggwinterbootssale.com/Ugg-Classic... ugg sparkles are in their collection are both practical and stylish, making them an excellent choice for day to day use. The biggest advantage is that all UGG boots are of high quality with competitive prices. Once you get on pair from the stores, you will know the right place for you to shopping.

Christian louboutin shoes have create a good image in the market today. When talking about the most popular shoes, Christian louboutin is always be mentioned. Classic styles, amazing designs, all you want can be found from http://myheelssale.com/Christian-Loubout... christian louboutin glitter. Christian louboutin is always commited to producing the most appealing shoes for you. No matter you want to own casual looks or dream to become eye-catching in the crowd, Christian louboutin shoes always can satisfy your needs.

Wearing Tiffany Jewelry has become the latest fashion these days. Tiffany Jewelry are designed for special occasions. You can find fine fashion Tiffany Jewelry Online from any of the Tiffany Outlet. http://925silveronsale.com/Tiffany-Sets-... tiffany set will bring you a shining look and make you attracted by the other people. Tiffany & Co Jewelry can be worn by either a man or a woman. If you are going to send a geft to your boyfriend or girlfriend, you can try Tiffany Jewelry.

Tissot watches have continuously generated fresh and enticing timepieces for customers. Today, Tissot watches have become the symbol of fashion. http://watchesgeilezeit.com/ tissot touch can go perfect with tights, jeans, a comfy sweater and just about any casual outfit. Wearing Tissot watches can make you handsome than before. Don't hesetate to buy Tissot watches to feel its quality and attractive looks.

Isabel Marant shoes are completely stunning, well-crafted, as well as useful sneakers. Isabel Marant shoes are also made in best quality but in cheap price,welcome to our store and choose your favorite style. These http://lifeshoessale.com/ isabel marant sale for you can instantly gives you the required comfort, glamour and attraction. These Isabel Marant shoes have functionality, durability, and design.

Posted by le you on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:50 a.m. (Report Comment)